'Glorious Martyr' Excavation Uncovered in Israel
Employees of the Israel Antiquities Authority work to uncover a 1500 year old church, decorated with mosaic floors and Greek mosaic inscriptions, discovered some 30Km west of Jerusalem. One inscription found dedicates the site to an unnamed 'glorious martyr'. A second mentions a donation received from Byzantine Emperor Tiberius II Constantine. A fully intact crypt served as an underground burial chamber for the 'glorious martyr'. Thousands of artifacts, what appears to be the most complete collection of Byzantine glass windows and lamps ever found at a single site in Israel, will be exhibited at the Bible Lands Museum Jerusalem.